Sunday, March 23, 2008

RealCinema: Taare Zameen Par

When it comes to Bollywood cinema, I admit that I tend to throw the baby out with the bath water, to avoid the corny juvenility that marks most of the industry's products. It is with regret though, for I realize that a chunk of "adult-oriented" well-made cinema goes unseen too. Seriously, I wish Hindi movies with level-headed themes came with a "7+" label on their DVD jackets (to indicate that they have been written/created by someone with better-developed sensibilities than a 7-year old) so they could be picked easily.

It is ironic then, that my latest adult-oriented pick, Taare Zameen Par, is actually a story about, and mostly performed by, a child. Here is its RealCinema rating (click here if you dont know what RealCinema is).

Taare Zameen Par

Overall RealRating™: 8/10

Locations: 9/10
Casting: 8/10
Language: 9/10
Detailing: 9/10

Endnote: I found it somewhat unfair to rate Taare Zameen Par with the same index used to rate Omkara. The former is set in a domestic urban setting, and I concede that Bollywood filmmakers have long mastered the art of portraying this setting with much more accuracy - even in fanciful movies like Rangeela or Dil Se, for example - than rural or period settings.
free html hit counter